Environmental Protection of Areas Surrounding Ports using Innovative Learning Tools for Legislation
INTERREG Balkan-Mediterranean 2014-2020
Priority Axis II Environment | Specific Objective: 2.3 Delivery on environmental legal framework Thematic Objective: Enhancing institutional capacity of public authorities and stakeholders and efficient public administration
Project Code: BMP1/2.3/2622/2017
Period: 01/11/2017 – 30/06/2020
Total Budget: 850.567,41 €
University of Ioannina Budget: 195.262,59 €
Facebook: Facebook Ecoportil Project
Twitter: Twitter Ecoportil
LinkedIn: Linkedin Ecoportil Project
The ECOPORTIL Project aims to improve the environmental quality of ports and their surrounding coastal environment by supporting their sustainability, through the implementation of modern methodologies and good practices according to EU and national legislation as well as through innovative tools and methods for the training and capacity building of stakeholders in the ports and nearby coastal zones as a prevention measure of pollution and preservation of natural maritime resources.
The ECOPORTIL Project aims to contribute to:
- A sustainable maritime sector able to balance between the needs of shipping transportation, the commercial port activities and the environmental protection measures and EU/national legislations.
- The sustainable Blue Growth, the main objective of Europe 2020 strategy. The introduction of the environmental management systems (EMS) in the maritime sector and port related activities with the contribution of ICT tools and integrated training education and lifelong learning methods/ practices for these sectors is considered of great importance towards Blue Growth and the resilience to climate change.
Goals of the Project:
- Establishment of networks and working groups on issues related to the design, coordination and operation of integrated environmental-friendly transport and mobility services and multimodality practices in port areas.
- Development and/or integration of existing transnational systems, procedures and early warning systems regarding environmental hazards and risk assessment, planning methodologies, management plans, sustainability and adaptation assessments.
- Design and implementation of Geographical Information System for the optimal visualization of environmental parameters.
- Special training courses to improve stakeholder knowledge and bridging the information gap for incorporating legislation and adopting good environmental practices.